In 2021, a new layer of security will make shopping online with your AIB card even more secure.
We’re making shopping online more secure
We’re adding an extra layer of security known as Strong Customer Authentication (SCA). These changes will help fight fraud and make your online transactions with your AIB (NI) card more secure.
When you’re shopping online, you’ll have to confirm that it is you using your card. The easiest way to do this is through the AIB (NI) Mobile App. We’ll send you a push notification and ask you to confirm the transaction. A push notification is simply a message that we’ll send through the app to your mobile phone. If you’re not able to use the app, or you don’t have a smartphone, there will be an alternative way for you to confirm your purchase.
Do I need to do anything to get ready?
Please make sure we have the correct mobile number for you so we can make sure it’s you using your cards.
If you use a Credit or Debit card to shop online OR you currently login to your Online Banking with a Card Reader you’ll need to make sure we have your correct mobile number.
You can update your mobile number by:
- Logging into your Online Banking, clicking on ‘Services & Settings’ and selecting ‘My Details’
- Simply call our Customer Services team on 0345 793 0000 (Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm excluding Bank Holidays.
- calling into your nearest branch with your ID
What is SCA?
SCA is a secure, digital way to confirm it’s you using your Card online. Using your mobile phone is the easiest way to confirm your transaction to make shopping online much more secure and reduce fraud.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Does SCA affect me?
Yes. If you use our Online Services you will already be familiar with SCA. We are now introducing SCA for debit and credit cards when you shop online. This is to increase the security of your transactions and will be reflected in new terms and conditions that we will send you over the coming months.
Do I have to use SCA?
Yes. SCA is already required for online banking users and is being introduced for online transactions with your debit or credit card. We will write to you about this.
What do I need to do?
We're asking customers:
1. Do we have the right mobile number for you? You can update it within Online Banking, under 'Settings & Services', and 'My Details'. You will need your card reader for this. You can also call into your local branch to update your mobile number.
2. Do we have the right mobile phone number for anyone with an additional card (authorised user) on your account? You will need to update your own mobile number. Then you will need to let any additional card holders know that they will need to update their mobile phone numbers as well. They can update their mobile phone number by registering for Online Banking. Call our Customer Services team on 0345 600 5925 (Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm excluding Bank Holidays). They can also do this at their local branch, with ID.
3. Do you have our AIB (NI) Mobile App? You can find this in the App Store or the Play Store. When the time comes, you can then use your mobile phone to complete the security steps for your online purchases. To download the AIB (NI) Mobile App you must be registered for Online Banking. To register call our Customer Services team on 0345 600 5925 (Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm excluding Bank Holidays).
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Google Play and Android are trademarks of Google Inc.
Can I opt out of SCA?
No – SCA is a requirement for certain online transactions
Why do you need my mobile number?
Your mobile number is unique and so it is the easiest way to get ready for SCA. Having this, along with the AIB (NI) Mobile app is the easiest way to authenticate card transactions when shopping online.
When do I need to set up SCA by?
Since 14 March 2020 SCA has been in use in order to use our online banking services. Over the coming months, it will also be required for online shopping. We will write to you about this – ideally you should act as soon as possible so that you won’t be affected when you shop with your card online.
I only use Online Banking to do my banking – how do I get ready for changes to shopping online with my card?
The fastest and easiest way to set up SCA for online purchases is by using the AIB (NI) Mobile App. You can download the AIB (NI) Mobile App from the Google Play Store or the App Store and use it to authenticate online card transactions.
My mobile phone is not a smartphone – what do I do?
If you can’t use our Mobile App or don’t have a smartphone you still need to make sure your mobile number is up to date, so that we can send you a text message with a code to authenticate your transaction when shopping online. You will also be required to use a password, chosen by you to complete this authentication process.
I do not have a mobile phone, will I still be able to shop online?
Don’t worry, if you can’t use a mobile, or can’t always receive a mobile signal, there will be an alternative way for you to confirm your purchase. We’ll let you know in good time how this works before this is required.
What happens if I get a new phone?
If you change your mobile phone you will need to download the AIB (NI) Mobile app again and set up your new phone for SCA. If you also change your mobile number you need to update it online.
I haven’t received the notification to ask me to confirm the transaction – what do I do?
You’ll need to turn on push notifications on your mobile phone. Turning on push notifications is slightly different on each phone so check you have these turned on. If they are turned on you may not have received the notification due to a network issue. Please try again. Further information can be found on AIB NI PSD2
I live abroad, do I still have to do this?
Yes. To ensure you can continue to use your cards for transactions in the EU or access your accounts online, you will need to be set up for SCA.
I have an international phone number, can I use SCA for card transactions?
If you have non- UK Mobile phone number, you can still use the AIB (NI) mobile app to authenticate your transactions online.
Can you tell me more about SCA for Online Banking Service?